What Is a Condemned House?
A condemned house has been determined by the government to be a property that violates local building codes and is considered unsafe to live in. If a house gets condemned, it is forbidden to live in it unless the property owner fixes all the listed problems in the timeframe the local authorities provide. Authorities actually want condemned houses to be fixed, and they want the homeowners to be living in the home safe and sound. However, if the problems are ignored and not taken care of, homeowners or tenants will have to vacate the property.
Why Might a Property Get Condemned?
Here is a list of things that may violate local building codes and get a house condemned:
- Improper ventilation
- Deterioration of the building and structural damage
- Lack of heat and/or air-conditioning
- No utilities, such as electricity or water
- Pest infestation or mold
- Dangerous or improper electrical systems
- Damage by termites
- Unsafe and toxic materials inside or making up the building
Is Your City Allowed to Condemn Your Property?
Yes, a city can condemn your property. The two main reasons this can happen are:
- Violation of the local building code (this is the most common reason)
- Public use, which means the city will use the location for a park, road, or other public space
If the city decides to sell a house, they will try to sell it as a structure. If this is not possible, then the property will be sold as a piece of land minus the costs to tear the house down and remove everything.
How to Save a Condemned House
The ability to save a house depends on many factors, including the level of the repairs, money, and time required. If you want to sell a condemned property, you will have two possible options:
- Make the house livable again. In order to do this, you will have to fix all the listed problems and make the house pass a home inspection. If a home inspector approves it, you will receive a new certificate of occupancy, which says that your property is livable again. If you decide to sell your house, you would then be able to sell your house like any other normal property. However, this method might be challenging because, in most cases, you have a limited amount of time to make repairs and sell your property before losing control of your condemned home.
- Sell your condemned property for cash. The main advantage of this method is that you do not have to spend money on any renovations or repairs. You are selling your property as-is to a real estate investor who is ready to buy your property immediately.
Sell Your Condemned Property Fast to We Buy Salt Lake City Houses
If you live in Salt Lake City and have a condemned property that you would like to sell, you can do it quickly and easily with the help of We Buy Salt Lake City Houses. The best thing about working with our real estate investment company is that you do not have to do any repairs or renovations because we buy homes in any condition and in any location.Our mission is to make the process for you as straightforward and easy as possible. Send your contact information to We Buy Salt Lake City Houses and receive a cash offer within 24 hours. If you have any questions, feel free to call us at 801-758-5005. Our team of professionals is ready to assist you today!